About Me

My photo
I am 36 years old and a mother of two beautiful little girls. Kevin and I have been married for 11 years. He is a stay-at-home dad who runs his own business from our home. I am a part-time 3rd grade teacher and have been teaching for 15 years. I live no more than 10 minutes away from my parents, in-laws, sisters, nieces, newest nephew, grandparents, aunts, and uncles... I wouldn't want it any other way!

Sunday, November 9, 2008

Oh How She Has Grown...Katelyn Alexis

It is so hard to believe that my first-born baby is part-way through kindergarten already. I cannot even begin to tell you all the ways that she has grown and changed over the last 5 years. She is such a unique and cool kid. I swear, even if she weren't my child, she would still be one of my best friends...she's that special.

Just last night, she really showed a new level of maturity. I was taking a bath, Kevin was watching television in our bedroom, Kennedy was asleep, and Katelyn was watching tv in the basement. She came up into the bathroom with red eyes and a red face. She told me that she needed to talk becasue she had just watched something on tv that made her really sad. She explained that she was watching a show about a boy who lost his dog. At the end of the movie, the boy found his dog and was yelling for the dog to come to him...classic happy ending. Well, this show evoked a lot of emotion in Katelyn, the kind of emotion she had never felt from a television show before. As she was explaining the show to me, she really started crying hard. Then she said, in her biggest outburst yet, "and it made me think of how much I love you!...sob...sob...sob). Kevin could kind of hear this from the bedroom. He asked if everything was alright and if we needed him. I assured him that everything was just fine. Katelyn and I hugged and she cried her little eyes out. I told her that it is okay to have emotions about things she sees, reads, or hears. I told her that I have cried at movies and books before too. I then explained to her that she was having "happy tears" because the movie had a happy ending. I also told her that Daddy had "happy tears" when we got married. She tried to laugh, but it just made her cry harder. She didn't want to cry, so she said, "I'm laughing, not crying...sob...sob..sob).

Wow! What an experience! I think we connected on a new level last night. Can you believe the emotions and maturity of this 5-year old girl of mine? I told you she is a cool kid!
I thought it would be fun to show how my oldest baby has grown over the last 5 years through pictures. Here are lots of my favorites throughout the years...

February 27, 2003...The happiest day of my life


Gymboree...we spent a lot of time here when Katelyn was a baby/toddler















1st Day of Gymnastics - 18 Months Old









1st Day of Preschool




Here she is on her 1st day of kindergarten!
Aren't pictures amazing? Each picture brings that particular moment in time right back to me, just like it was yesterday. I can feel her personality in each picture. I can remember games we played, songs we sang, the cuddles of her little hands. If it is really quiet...I can almost hear her laughter.
The transformation of my baby into a beautiful little girl reminds me of the journey that a caterpillar takes as it becomes a butterfly. Just like a butterfly, my beautiful Katelyn is spreading her wings and exploring the world around her. Katelyn, guess what...Mommy has "happy tears" right now. I get "happy tears" everytime I look at these pictures of you.
You are special and I love you dearly.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Joey and Kevin,

I have to apologize for not keeping up with your family but today, I just knew was the perfect time and to wish you and your dear family a most HAPPY THANKSGIVING.

It is hard to believe that Katelyn is in kindergarten and just how grown up she is. It just seems to happen in such a hurry. I also loved the story you told where she had watched a movie about a boy and his dog and the many emotions she experienced. She sounds so much like our oldest granddaughter Grace Elizabeth, who is also very sensitive. I consider this a beautiful trait to nurture. What a deep thinker this sweet girls are!

Bless each dear one of you and I promise to check in more often.

Love and hugs....Linda