About Me

My photo
I am 36 years old and a mother of two beautiful little girls. Kevin and I have been married for 11 years. He is a stay-at-home dad who runs his own business from our home. I am a part-time 3rd grade teacher and have been teaching for 15 years. I live no more than 10 minutes away from my parents, in-laws, sisters, nieces, newest nephew, grandparents, aunts, and uncles... I wouldn't want it any other way!

Thursday, July 10, 2008

Favorite Family Stories - #1

Kevin and I thought it would be fun to document some favorite family stories from time to time. You know how family stories go...we think they are funny, but you kind of had to be there to get the gist of it. Anyway, I hope we will enjoy looking back and remembering the silly moments in our lives.

When Kevin and I were first married, I was haunted by a cricket. The darn thing was in the house and would chirp all night long. Every time I woke Kevin up, the cricket stopped chirping. It was terribly annoying. So, one night, I decided to try to put an end to this craziness so I could finally get some sleep. I could tell that the cricket was in the kitchen in a crevice by a cabinet. I set out one piece of dog food about two feet or so in front of the cabinet. I was hoping to lure the cricket out and then smash him with my shoe (sorry for the violent intentions, but I had had enough!) Well, my plan kind of worked... that cricket came out, grabbed the piece of dog food and took it back into the crevice before I even had a chance to hit it. I can't believe how quickly it happened, especially since I was laying on the floor, shoe in hand, ready for that cricket. I swear it zoomed by me in a split second!

Of course Kevin didn't believe me. He said that there was absolutely no way that a cricket took a piece of dog food. He said, "I believe that you believe it happened, but Joey, it just isn't likely."

Eventually the cricket stopped chirping after a few days. I figured that it had left the house for good.

Several months later, we were remodeling the house. Kevin had to pull the cabinets out from the wall so that he could install a new tile floor. Wouldn't you know that when he pulled that one particular cabinet away from the wall, there was our cricket...deceased. OK...get ready for this... there was one piece of dog food behind that cabinet with the dead cricket...HONEST!

I never laughed so hard. Kevin was pretty surprised and had to admit that I was right the whole time.


This is just one of those funny little stories that we retell in our family from time to time.

No comments: