About Me

My photo
I am 36 years old and a mother of two beautiful little girls. Kevin and I have been married for 11 years. He is a stay-at-home dad who runs his own business from our home. I am a part-time 3rd grade teacher and have been teaching for 15 years. I live no more than 10 minutes away from my parents, in-laws, sisters, nieces, newest nephew, grandparents, aunts, and uncles... I wouldn't want it any other way!

Friday, July 18, 2008

Weddings...A Little Girl's Dream

Everyone knows that all little girls begin planning their wedding day when they are about three years old . But, what most people may not realize is that the mommy's of little girls start planning the future wedding at about the same time too.
When Katelyn was newly three years old, we were shopping for spring clothes at Gymboree. Since it was spring, Easter dresses and accessories were out. Katelyn fell in love with these large, plastic pearl necklaces at Gymboree. She kept begging me to buy one for her. While I was at the checkout, and not purchasing the pearls, Katelyn was having a terrible time deciding if she should get the white or the pink pearls. She said that she wasn't sure which color she would like when she is all grown up and ready to get married. She was really going back and forth between the pink and the white. The cashier thought it was absolutely adorable that Katelyn was really wanting these for her future wedding, some 20+ years down the road. She couldn't believe that I still wouldn't buy the girl a necklace, but I stuck to my guns.
When I was telling a friend about the story at work the next day, my friend said, "So which one did you buy?" I proudly said that I didn't buy either one because honestly, what would she do with a gaudy, plastic, pearl necklace? My friend was shocked and told me that I had to go back and buy one so that I can give it to Katelyn on her actual wedding day along with an explanation of how badly she wanted the necklace when she was merely three years old. My friend was exactly right, why hadn't I thought of it myself? I rushed over to Gymboree right after work that day and purchased both...the pink and the white pearl necklaces. I figured the story wouldn't be complete 20+ years down the road unless we have both necklaces.

Here is our future bride-to-be, now five years old, and prancing around in her "wedding dress." I plan on showing these pictures at her future wedding as well as a video I have of her dancing with her daddy at her "wedding" in our living room. I guess it is true, little girls and their mommy's truly do start planning for the big day from the time they were a small child.





Katelyn my darling, my biggest wedding wish for you is that you will find a prince as charming and wonderful as your daddy.

1 comment:

J.J. said...

oh my! how lovely she is!