About Me

My photo
I am 36 years old and a mother of two beautiful little girls. Kevin and I have been married for 11 years. He is a stay-at-home dad who runs his own business from our home. I am a part-time 3rd grade teacher and have been teaching for 15 years. I live no more than 10 minutes away from my parents, in-laws, sisters, nieces, newest nephew, grandparents, aunts, and uncles... I wouldn't want it any other way!

Monday, September 15, 2008

Our Broken KenBear

In my previous blog post, I mentioned how I love having so many kids in the neighborhood for the girls to play with. Well, when you have that many kids playing together on a daily basis, it is only a matter of time before someone gets hurt, really hurt. Well, that someone just happened to be Kennedy this past Saturday evening. She ran behind an eight year-old girl who was swinging. Kennedy got knocked down, but I didn't think anything of it. Of course she cried and told me that her arm was broken. I assured that she was going to be just fine and that she was not broken. I gave her hugs and kisses and a glass of milk. In Kennedy's eyes, milk fixes just about everything.

After her milk, Kevin lifted her up to put her in her booster seat. When he lifted her, she screamed with pain. We thought it was unusual, but still didn't make too much of it. For the next two hours, she just sat on one of our laps. She was extremely lethargic. I was starting to get concerned, but it was getting close to bed time. So, we decided to put her to bed and told her that she would feel better in the morning. When she laid down, she just about came unglued. She screamed and was in obvious pain. She wasn't holding her arm, she was kind of holding her neck. I decided that it was time to take her to get checked out. She put her hands down to help scoot herself off the bed and screamed again with pain. Kevin picked her up and put her in the car seat for me. He decided to stay home with Katelyn, who was very worried and upset. Since it was after 8:00 PM, Children's Urgent Care was closed, so I had to take her to Children's Hospital Emergency Room. They checked her to make sure that she was not in shock because she was so lethargic and shaky. She wasn't in shock, just in pain and scared to move.

Since it was a Saturday night, the ER was extremely busy and very under staffed! Although lethargic, Kennedy would lift up her little head every once in awhile and whisper a question like, "Are hospitals nice? What are they going to do to me in this room? Can you stay with me? Where are we going now?" Three hours and a couple of x-rays later, we had our diagnosis...Fractured Collarbone.

Bless her little heart. Kevin, Katelyn, nor I have ever had a broken bone and now our baby girl has a broken collarbone. Since they cannot put a cast on a collarbone, she just has a snazzy new dinosaur sling that she has to wear. Also, collarbones heal faster than broken arms, so we were actually fortunate. She will be in the sling for about 10 days.

Katelyn has been such a wonderful big sister during this ordeal. She is such a natural little mother. She has been doing everything she can to help Kennedy feel better. She tells Kennedy jokes, does silly dances, makes silly faces, draws pictures for Kennedy, brought Kennedy down blankets, pillows, and stuffed animals, and she even shared her favorite lovey...Snuggles! She has such a good heart and really loves her little sister (and Kennedy loves her too!) On a side note, Kennedy earned a toy for becoming officially potty-trained this pasat week. She chose a toy that had two little horses because she wanted to give one of the horses to Katelyn. It is quite endearing to see the love between the two of them.

Here's our little broken KenBear sporting her new sling...

This was taken the morning after the accident. Kennedy's pouty face was real, Katelyn's, not so real. She wanted to make a sad face to show everyone just how sad she is for Kennedy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jack! OMG! Poor Kennedy! How is she?? Sooo sad!! - Tara