About Me

My photo
I am 36 years old and a mother of two beautiful little girls. Kevin and I have been married for 11 years. He is a stay-at-home dad who runs his own business from our home. I am a part-time 3rd grade teacher and have been teaching for 15 years. I live no more than 10 minutes away from my parents, in-laws, sisters, nieces, newest nephew, grandparents, aunts, and uncles... I wouldn't want it any other way!

Monday, January 26, 2009

Oh, the Drama!

Okay, being the parents of two girls is bound to bring forth a great deal of drama Kevin and me. I would expect the drama to start maybe around 5th grade or so, but it has arrived in full force! The funny thing is that Kennedy at the age of 2 is every bit as dramatic as Katelyn. Here are a couple of instances from the last week that will emphasize what I am talking about...

Kennedy fell down last week and started crying. Katelyn started coddling her and told me that Kennedy was hurt. I told Katelyn that Ken was just fine. Kennedy's reply, with a lot of attitude and exaggeration was, "Oh yeah, watch this!" Then, she proceeded to fumble around on the floor to show Kevin and me that she really couldn't get up. She was totally faking and was really fine. Words cannot express the energy this little girl put into her little performance. I laughed out loud and Kevin simply sighed and said, "Oh, the drama!"

Case in point #2...Katelyn has always been a terrible sleeper. It is a rare occurrence for this almost six-year old to sleep through the night (fortunately Kennedy is a great sleeper or we would be in real trouble). Katelyn woke up in the middle of the night and came into our bedroom. She said that she was scared. We told her that she was fine and that she needed to go back to her own room. She went back crying. Once in her room, she yelled, "I'm frightened...I'm so frightened...FRIGHTENED!" Being the heartless parents that we sometimes are in the middle of the night, we once again told Katelyn that she was fine. I did go in and give her a hug, then I told her to go to sleep.

Finally, as I mentioned earlier, Kennedy is a great sleeper. It is a rare thing for Kennedy to wake up in the middle of the night. Well, last night, little Ken did wake up and come into our room. Kevin and I hadn't realized that Katelyn had already snuck into our bed in the middle of the night. So, when Kennedy came in, she saw Katelyn sleeping in our bed, but Kevin and I were so groggy that we still didn't realize that Kate was even there. Kevin told Kennedy to go back to her room. Once back in her room, Kennedy started crying, "Why can big kids go in Mommy and Daddy's bed, but not little kids?" She repeated this question at least 3 or 4 times getting progressively louder each time. Then, she yelled, "Why...WHy...WHY!!!" I actually fully woke up during all of this and realized where Katelyn was. I felt terrible. I went into Kennedy's room and consoled her. Bless her little heart, she was just trying to internalize why this was another one of those instances where Katelyn gets to do something that she can't do because she is too little. It was not making sense to her, and it shouldn't have. My poor baby, I have been heart-broken over it all day.

Oh, the drama of daughters...and this is only one week's worth.