About Me

My photo
I am 36 years old and a mother of two beautiful little girls. Kevin and I have been married for 11 years. He is a stay-at-home dad who runs his own business from our home. I am a part-time 3rd grade teacher and have been teaching for 15 years. I live no more than 10 minutes away from my parents, in-laws, sisters, nieces, newest nephew, grandparents, aunts, and uncles... I wouldn't want it any other way!

Thursday, February 21, 2008

My Biggest Pet Peeve

I have quite a few pet peeves, but I must say that there is one that stands out above the rest. I CANNOT stand children's books lined up on a bookshelf!...it makes me crazy! This issue began when I was a small child myself. I would look at the bookshelves in my classroom and think, "How boring!" I would go to the library at school and be overwhelmed with how I was supposed to find anything interesting in 15-20 minutes. Keep in mind, I was a good reader in school and was quite capable of reading the itty-bitty print on the spine of the books...that is all that shows when books are lined up on bookshelves. I can only imagine how the struggling readers must have felt. As you know, I have been a first grade teacher for 12 years. I am proud to say that I have NEVER had books lined up on a shelf. While doing my student teaching, I would literally cringe as I went into various classrooms ...all with bookshelves lined with great books that the kids couldn't see or find! From my very first day of teaching, I organized my books in tubs labeled with the author's name, genre, reading level, or theme. The books are all forward facing so those great book covers show and invite the kids to pick them up and read. Best of all, it works! The kids cannot keep their hands off of the books!

Well, I carried this idea into Katelyn's nursery when she was a baby. I had book tubs that matched her room. The tubs were organized and full of books that she looked at, chewed on, read, etc. She had full access to these books at all times (other than when she was in her crib). Then, the amount of books and toys this child owned started to get out of control. I had to reorganize for the sake of having some livable space in our old house. I am sad to say that I used the colorful tubs for toys and lined the books on her bookshelf - yikes.! It has bothered me ever since...for nearly 4 years now. I have tried to compensate a little by putting book baskets with some favorite books in various places around the house. This helped, but I still have so many books on those shelves. So, now that we are in our new house, I want to dedicate a room, or at least the better part of a room to making a children's library. Am I crazy? Is this the teacher in me, is it obsessive-compulsiveness, or is it actually a good idea? I don't know, but I am going to give it a go. I broke the news to Kevin last night...he always loves my crazy ideas. I bought these two great, hot-pink lounge-chairs from the Pottery Barn teen line that would be great in the girls' library. I have always envisioned a designated reading area. I just don't know where the best place is. Now I am thinking that a reading corner wouldn't be enough, I think we are going to have to go for the full-on library room! I'll have to let you know how it turns out once I have it all figured out and organized. I'll definitely post pictures too! I have included a recent video of my girls "reading" before bed. (The video came out really dark when it was uploaded for some reason, sorry it isn't brighter) Come on, girls that love books as much as these two do definitely deserve their own library!


2 comments:

Samantha said...

You crack me up.

Anonymous said...

Now I feel guilty for critizing people who want to organize their kids book collections:) I still think you're crazy!
Amy