About Me

My photo
I am 36 years old and a mother of two beautiful little girls. Kevin and I have been married for 11 years. He is a stay-at-home dad who runs his own business from our home. I am a part-time 3rd grade teacher and have been teaching for 15 years. I live no more than 10 minutes away from my parents, in-laws, sisters, nieces, newest nephew, grandparents, aunts, and uncles... I wouldn't want it any other way!

Saturday, May 31, 2008

The BFFs

P

Friday was Katelyn's last day of preschool. She is passing the preschool torch on to Kennedy because Kennedy will attend "playgroup" on Fridays there next year.

It was a bittersweet goodbye for Katelyn because she is in a group of four BFFs. They became friends the first week of school last year, and have been best friends for the past two years. Sadly, the girls will go to three different schools in two different districts next year. Three of them will meet up again when they reach middle school (please tell me that it really will be a long, long time from now. I don't want to blink my eyes and feel like it was just yesterday that I was writing this post and boom there we are in middle school).

Please excuse Katelyn's baggy pants with that cute little t-shirt. She had poison ivy on her leg and insisted on wearing pants so that she wouldn't give it to anyone else. We told her that she wasn't contagious,
but she was worried.
On another note...Katelyn lost her second tooth before her last day. She didn't swallow it this time:) So, two teeth as a preschooler! As she loves to tell everyone, "I'm an early one!"

One more thing... Katelyn is now writing little books and stories. Her books have several pages, with about one sentence and a picture per page. She even leaves spaces between her words. The stories are readable by any kindergarten or 1st grade teacher as her phonetic spelling is really good. She represents beginning, medial and final consonants along with vowels in her invented spellings. She started sounding out words to spell last spring right after turning four. She started by making animal books with a label for each animal that she drew. Over the last year, her writing has just continued to progress, and without the help of her mother. Katelyn does not let me teach her anything. We actually do absolutely nothing academic together, except for read books together a few times a week (not even every day, shhh, I am embarrassed to admit that I am a teacher and I do not read to my children every day). The fact that Katelyn doesn't let me work with her at all came as quite a surprise to her preschool teachers since I am a teacher and because little Katelyn is extremely bright (their words, not mine). So, being the teacher that I am and having a child that won't let me work with her, I am so excited with her writing!

No comments: