About Me

My photo
I am 36 years old and a mother of two beautiful little girls. Kevin and I have been married for 11 years. He is a stay-at-home dad who runs his own business from our home. I am a part-time 3rd grade teacher and have been teaching for 15 years. I live no more than 10 minutes away from my parents, in-laws, sisters, nieces, newest nephew, grandparents, aunts, and uncles... I wouldn't want it any other way!

Saturday, October 11, 2008

Yes, You Are Indeed Special!

Katelyn and I were working on homework one evening. I was quite impressed with her reading comprehension skills. I told her that she is very lucky because learning isn't so easy for all kids. She replied, "I know. I look like a normal kid on the outside, but I'm really special because I have a special birthmark from God, I have a big heart, I'm nice, I'm funny, I'm pretty, and I have a big brain." She was so serious and matter-of-fact. Confidence is not an issue with this girl of ours.

I know that I'm her mom, but I do have to say that Katelyn is such a cool kid. I would have to say that her sense of humor and her empathy for others are quite unusual for her age. She keeps everyone laughing because she always comes up with the funniest things.

She is also such a smart little cookie. Here is a story that shows what a smart little problem-solver she is... We had a fly in the house and it was driving us crazy. Katelyn suggested that we get a frog to eat the fly. We told her that then we would have a frog in the house. She said, "Then we'll get a snake to eat the frog." I told her that I definitely didn't want a snake in the house. She said that we would then get an owl to eat the snake. You can see where all of this is going. I was thinking to myself, "What eats an owl?" But not Kate, she had it all figured out. When I asked her what we would do about the owl in the house, she said that we would get another snake. She said that we would put that snake outside. Then, when the owl flies out to get the snake, we would shut the door! Problem solved!

Katelyn, you truly are all of the things you mentioned, and so much more! And yes my Kate, you are indeed special!

No comments: