About Me

My photo
I am 36 years old and a mother of two beautiful little girls. Kevin and I have been married for 11 years. He is a stay-at-home dad who runs his own business from our home. I am a part-time 3rd grade teacher and have been teaching for 15 years. I live no more than 10 minutes away from my parents, in-laws, sisters, nieces, newest nephew, grandparents, aunts, and uncles... I wouldn't want it any other way!

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

I "Heart" Valentine's Day

I love Valentine's Day! The funny thing is that I love it from a child's perspective rather than from the lovey-dovey adult perspective. I remember diligently sitting down and writing out my valentine cards for my classmates each year. I would spend so much time picking out just the right one for each of my classmates. Then, that extra large teacher valentine that was always included in the box was the best! I never really enjoyed getting valentines. I would bring them home, dump them out, briefly look through them, and then pitch them. Receiving them never seemed very special or meaningful to me, but I sure loved giving them!

I am re-living my childhood love for Valentine's day through Katelyn and Kennedy. I was a little disappointed during Katelyn's two years of preschool that she didn't want to make homemade valentines. She insisted on store-bought ones. I did buy them for her, remembering how much I loved my store-bought valentines as a little girl, but I was still disappointed. During Katelyn's second year of preschool, we actually had to make a Valentine's box. I was so excited! I did my research and found the cutest idea I could find. Katelyn actually helped a lot with this box, but I was definitely there to supervise.




This year, both Katelyn and Kennedy decided that they wanted to make their valentines...and I couldn't have been happier! Once again, I looked through everything Valentine's Day related until I found just what I wanted. After some tweaking and adding our own unique touches, here is the final product...



The pictures really do not do these cards justice. The pipe cleaner antennae and the glitter paint around the edges are both iridescent, which really added some glitz! Katelyn and Kennedy made red butterflies for the boys in their classes and the girls received pink or purple butterflies. Once again, Katelyn and Kennedy both helped a lot with making these cards. They did all of the assembling themselves (I helped Kennedy). Additionally, Katelyn wrote her own name as well as the name of each of her classmates. I think that Katelyn and Kennedy enjoyed this all-day activity as much as I did!

No comments: